[ home ] [ site / arch ] [ pony / oat / ef ] [ rp / fan ]

/ef/ - Everfree

A general discussion board with a laxer atmosphere and fewer rules. Keep adult content or controversial issues here.
Name?

This field is optional. You can choose any name you want, or you can post anonymously by leaving this field empty.

Tripcodes are a way to identify yourself between posts without having to register with the site. To use a tripcode, enter your name as ‹name›#‹key›.You can choose anything you want as the key—it is private and will never be shown to other posters or stored on the server. For example:

Rarity#bestpony → Rarity!.4PK7yxdII

If you want a tripcode containing specific words, you can download a program designed to search for tripcodes, such as Tripcode Explorer.

Email
?

Entering an e-mail is optional.

There are also code words you can enter here which perform certain actions when you submit your post.

  • sage — lets you post without bumping a thread.
  • nonoko — uses the original post behavior to redirect to the board index.

These can be used at the same time as an e-mail address by typing ‹email›#‹action›.

You can also use Skype names in place of an e-mail. The notation is the same as a link to a username on skype itself, which is skype:‹username›

Subject
Comment?
Giving emphasis
[b] Bold [/b] Ctrl + B
[i] Italic [/i] Ctrl + I
[u] Underlined [/u] Ctrl + U
[s] Strikethrough [/s] Ctrl + R
Hiding text
[?] Spoiler text [/?] Ctrl + S
[h] Hide block of text [/h] Ctrl + H
Special
[rcv] Royal Canterlot voice [/rcv] Ctrl + K
[shy] Fluttershy voice [/shy]
[cs] Comic Sans [/cs]
[tt] Monospaced [/tt]
[d20], [4d6] — Dice rolls
URLs and linking
Link to a post on the current board
>>1234
Link to another board
>>>/pony/
Link to a post on another board
>>>/pony/1234
Hypertext links
[url=https://www.ponychan.net/] Ponychan [/url]
File
Flag
Options
Password?

This field is for editing and deletions.


File: 1541635975591.jpg (86.6 KB, 786x1017, 1531368469752.jpg)

Anonymous (ID: 03ac19)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid:   195079

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=93&v=cIgG_kyYnMc

Thoughts? I'm kind in one of those -I really need to be agreed with/hear someone have the same level of empathy as me- upon watching this.

Ika (ID: c58a68)Country code: mx, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195082

File: 1541636460437.png (949.21 KB, 946x841, 1bfd16197c843bea4587ab355ed3af…)

>Making period jokes to a 12 year old
Yup, it's autism all right. To be honest anyone can fuck up like that but I don't blame Hank Hill and Dale Gribble for being pissed off about it.

Urda (ID: 50a1b4)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195114

File: 1541643247596.jpg (86.57 KB, 468x676, A8624845-vote2.jpg)

>>195079
So it is 2 guys bullying a Brony,with no social skills.

Who obviously is unqualified for this position but probably shouldn't be talked to that way either.

And you are posting it here.....

Sounds strange.

(ID: e34234)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195117

File: 1541643986787.png (344.08 KB, 525x557, 87876989879879.png)

>>195079
who the hell does shit like that?

>>195114
how do you know he's a brony?

that thing on shirt looked like that weird pokemon thing

Ika (ID: c58a68)Country code: mx, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195118

File: 1541644098533.png (960.3 KB, 961x881, 26a37ed817231aec411d4e3671618a…)

>>195114
I don't think he's a brony, or at least I don't see it. Hank Hill says "You must be one of them brownies" but I don't think that confirms it.

(ID: c893a2)Country code: amsterdam.png, country type: customflag, valid: 1  195119

File: 1541644161965.jpg (81.57 KB, 913x649, Scarlet_Likes_em.jpg)

>>195118
Did he say that? I didn't get that far.

Why would he say that?

Ika (ID: c58a68)Country code: mx, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195120

File: 1541644236246.png (978.05 KB, 997x883, fd78d6210ee5fa6ea0938e39007c1c…)

>>195119
Because the guy is clearly a socially awkward nerd with a cartoon waifu stamp on his work shirt and it's easy to assume for the uneducated baby boomer I guess.

Anonymous (ID: 03ac19)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195122

>>195114
While I agree the father made a lot of terrible decisions I'm not sure it was his initial plan to "bully". I think he mistook the cashier's lack of awareness as "attitude" or "refusal to admit wrong doing" and as a result of that in combination with his own ego/anger he decides to be threatening/belittling.
From my understanding the guy who makes the violence threats is just a neutral third party not sure if he was his friend or something.
I think it is also important to note the father did have (in my opinion) a reason to want to reach out to the man, and at least show him the error in his ways. The comment the cashier made could be very insulting to a child who is already in an uncomfortable position. Sadly, the father failed to do any (good) attempt at explaining that.
It's very common for a neurotypical adult male to not understand why that comment is so potentially hurtful.

Yes I am posting it here, kind of because why I said in the OP. I feel like I could get an honest discussion/feedback out of ponychan.
Haven't been on ponychan in a while honestly, but I assumed this board was basically modern /chat/.

(ID: c893a2)Country code: amsterdam.png, country type: customflag, valid: 1  195123

File: 1541644376559.jpg (81.14 KB, 721x652, Scarlet_Slinky_2010.jpg)

>>195120
I mean I was siding with Yosemite Sam for the majority of it because what the guy said to his kid was out of line. But you don't just go and make assumptions like that.

Ika (ID: c58a68)Country code: mx, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195124

File: 1541644606476.png (727.59 KB, 702x811, 15a354ad9db2c5d303b9ec7791d6b2…)

>>195123
People get unreasonable when they are angry and well the assumption he is a brony isn't that out of line considering the guy fits the criteria of the stereotype.

Urda (ID: 50a1b4)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195137

File: 1541646384925.jpg (15.86 KB, 236x219, 49b9610bf2217b30b1b129ca921fe9…)

>>195123
>assumptions like that

Maybe they should cancel the show,so the Brony plague dies.

Anonymous (ID: 47e737)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195140

File: 1541646468980.png (37.38 KB, 410x251, tumblr_oafzf4JVrG1qfbzt4o1_500…)

I have a hard time thinking that statement was a joke, rather than him showing genuine concern and slipping up with his filtering. Not the most excusable mistake, but still a mistake, not a jab at getting a quick laugh. There's nothing funny about it, and no one half-capable of holding the job he is would've actually thought it was a funny enough thing to air, as opposed to the odds of being a half-baked thought that slipped out. Hanlon's Razor, he wasn't being actively malicious in his stupidity, he probably just derped and said the wrong thing half-thinking he was being helpful.

Mk17 (ID: 83daf9)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195151

File: 1541647068413.png (353.36 KB, 635x613, 776532345.PNG)

>>195079
Id most likely be just as pissed, esp because it sounds like this isnt the first time there has been an issue.

Honestly, that guy was pretty calm and respectful through it all things considered.

But there is also a lot of missing context.
This post was edited by its author on .

Whelp!tEfVeritas (ID: 9af812)Country code: goggles.png, country type: customflag, valid: 1  195190

File: 1541649758957.png (249.1 KB, 700x703, tumblr_ozslttIlmG1u9ghu7o1_128…)

I dunno. I think it's kinda unfair to the obviously-autistic clerk, honestly. You take someone who can't read a room and doesn't know what's socially acceptable, and you put him in a situation where he's constantly dealing with assholes and has to tell them off politely (Retail), and then put him on blast for doing just that the one time where the customer was actually right. Should he have apologized? Absolutely, but I honestly don't think he actually realized that until the point where his manager was agreeing with the customer - at which point it was too late.

Making jokes is how a lot of autistic people - myself included - manage social interactions, because it makes people like you without having to have nearly as many social skills. And then, sometimes, you end up cracking a joke that upsets someone. I've learned, through trial and error, that the only way to respond to those situations is to just apologize immediately, because the outcome if you're wrong is inevitably that everyone hates you, and if you're right, it's that you let the asshole win. So the odds are definitely in favor of always apologizing for me, because of stuff like this.

I don't at all think that this guy deserved to be put into an online video and fired for what he did, and I think the customer ought to be a bit more empathetic that the guy is quite obviously, let's face it, socially retarded, and just messed up horribly.

Although if it isn't the first time there's been an issue as they mentioned, and, and this is important, it was actually brought up the other times? Then fuck him, no sympathy, he deserves every bit of it. I'll give someone a lot of leeway for fucking up the first time, but if they get told they're fucking up, and keep doing so, then at that point, it's not an accident, it's a deliberate choice not to improve.

Mk17 (ID: 83daf9)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195192

File: 1541650031465.png (135.57 KB, 340x304, kjhkjh99898.PNG)

>>195190
All they asked for was an apology at first.

At what point do you start holding people responsible for their actions?

Also, how is this kid "obviously autistic"?

Mk17 (ID: 83daf9)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195195

File: 1541650179382.png (244.92 KB, 364x485, makmak.PNG)

>>195190
>>195192
>Although if it isn't the first time there's been an issue as they mentioned, and, and this is important, it was actually brought up the other times? Then fuck him, no sympathy, he deserves every bit of it. I'll give someone a lot of leeway for fucking up the first time, but if they get told they're fucking up, and keep doing so, then at that point, it's not an accident, it's a deliberate choice not to improve.

This part wasnt there when i first posted, so i guess that answers my question.
This post was edited by its author on .

Anonymous (ID: 03ac19)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195202

>>195140
It sounds a lot to me like he was "thinking out loud."
He goes through the standard procedure of asking if they need a bag. He realizes what a stupid question it is because of the nature of the items. He says his thought process out loud and later calls it a joke because that's his go to.
If this was the case honesty is the best approach.
>>195151
>Id most likely be just as pissed, esp because it sounds like this isnt the first time there has been an issue.
I think it is important to note the cashier/manager can say this with any credibility, and the customer has zero accountability on the matter. He could of completely made it up/thought it up on the car ride there as a means to get the result he wanted. It's one thing to have heard about something happening, and another to have witnessed it. It could also possibly be changing having heard "that guy is so weird" into a completely different statement out of memory.
It's my observation that the dad became far too fixated on the man being fired, and missed flags weren't even on his mind.
This post was edited by its author on .

Mk17 (p-hone) (ID: 1fe66e)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195205

File: 1541651627469.png (253.46 KB, 470x483, 23452567.PNG)

>>195202
>He could of completely made it up/thought it up on the car ride there as a means to get the result he wanted.
I guess. He could be a professional character assassin sent by fedel castros ghost too.

Your adding your own interpretation to a situation you only have a slice of.

If the things said in the video were true, its been an ongoing issue, kid refused to apologise (though i think he tried to sneak on in at the end when he realized he was kinda fucked when he recited his own words) and now he has to deal with the consequences of his actions.

I can only base my opinion on the video evidence provided.

>It's my observation that hte dad became far too fixated on the man being fired

My observation is that the dad was fixcated on the inappropriate comment directed at his 12yo daughter. Rightly so.
And again, kid could have just apologized.

Chaptor!Ep8pui8Vw2 (ID: 88fe18)Country code: cascadia.png, country type: customflag, valid: 1  195223

File: 1541652832092.gif (2.24 MB, 375x300, 1539797369011.gif)

lol that guy has autism and is probably retarded.

Noonim (ID: c362ec)Country code: mlpchan.png, country type: customflag, valid: 1  195294

>>195079
Sounds like a scumbag,.
Though, I feel like saying, I'm not a huge fan of the new video every issue culture coming about.

Whelp!tEfVeritas (ID: 9af812)Country code: goggles.png, country type: customflag, valid: 1  195300

File: 1541684461967.png (75.1 KB, 500x437, HAC7jDo.png)

>>195195

Yeah, had to edit it in to clarify.

>>195192

> Also, how is this kid "obviously autistic"?


Everything about him screams it. The stilted politeness in the face of anger as an attempt at holding his ground while obviously being very uncomfortable. The Gardevoir shirt. The unkempt neckbeard. The way he defends himself with "I said I was sorry!" (He said he was sorry they felt that way, which to most people is an obvious non-apology, but to someone who has a very literal mind and few social skills does seem like an apology until you learn otherwise), and his incredibly awkward attempts at conflict resolution which are no doubt learned from lots of experience dealing with angry customers who are unreasonable. And, of course, the inappropriate joke - a lot of autistic people learn to substitute social skills with other things they can better understand to get people to like them, and one possible candidate for that is jokes. Unfortunately, when you lack social skills, you're bound to make an inappropriate joke every now and then. Combine that with a lack of knowledge on how to handle those kinds of situations, and you're left with a recipe for disaster.

But essentially, everything about his behavior screams that it's learned and not natural, which is a strong indication of autism.

Noonim (ID: c362ec)Country code: mlpchan.png, country type: customflag, valid: 1  195302

>>195122
The kid does come across as a tad condescending and prickish.

The other tosser behind the recording guy was pretty shit, though, too.

!XSAILBoatg (ID: 763d72)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195304

This didn't need to be a video.

Mk17 (ID: 60bdfc)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195330

File: 1541695466202.png (118.86 KB, 307x316, 88897454.PNG)

>>195300
Yeah, maybe and indicator, but I know I've def acted that way before when i knew what i did was wrong, and im just trying to do damage control, esp as an awkward young person. And i got my ass kicked for it a few times. But thats because i can be a dick at times.
I've let my beard get unkempt, but its because I can be lazy at times.
But im not autistic.
I have a nephew who is autistic. His life is hard, his parents lives are hard. He does stuff like when your talking to someone at a party he will push his way between you both, even if there isnt room, to say what he thought needed to be said. He will stair at you at really close distances awkwardly. Sometimes he is just completely in his own world and unresponsive to your questions, and he throws fits of anger unsolicited.
I love that kid, he is awesome in his own way, he has some really cool things that he thinks and says, but when every social faux pas is blamed on autism its kinda erks me, because i feel like it lessens the very real situation that kid and his parents have to face every day.
I'm not saying that this kid doesn't have autism, and i realize its a spectrum, but i just think that conclusion is jumped to very quickly in many situations.


>>195302
>>195304
I fully agree, it wasn't necessary to video this. Or at least, it wasn't necessary to post it.

Edit:
Spelling
This post was edited by its author on .

Ika (ID: c58a68)Country code: mx, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195345

File: 1541700872226.png (893.16 KB, 864x820, 8caa23815e4b4101c87c4dbc98e4ca…)

Can we agree it's the manager's fault for not having the kid work in storage rather than as a cashier?

Anonymous (ID: 92d262)Country code: ponychan.png, country type: customflag, valid: 1  195350

File: 1541701376416.png (303.66 KB, 848x482, 7yqZcYh.png)

I will never get behind a customer's attempt to get such a low-level grunt worker like a cashier fired from anywhere. The people who have to work retail or the like obviously have absolutely nowhere else to go, crimes notwithstanding.

Before the reddit thread, I had a hard time believing there was really someone on this planet who would utter the statement this guy did as a joke, let alone remember his own words later in the day as if he meant it like a really witty take when he said it. From a position of ignorance, it seems a lot more likely that this guy accidentally let a sincere thought slipped his mind. I can't think that someone would really be foolish enough to make this kind of joke on duty. I mean, it's kind of common understanding that you don't chatter with customers at all outside of task-related communication on the job.
Every post-pubescent girl on the planet who isn't starved or diseased has periods. People need to quit being letigious pricks, and weigh the prospect of people's livelihoods over their precious egoes. No, you don't get a wageslave fired and kicked onto the streets to starve to death for ANY insult. I don't care if he's making holocaust denial jokes on the job. This is a level of punching down never before seen and I'm disgusted with anyone standing behind it. I do not give a rat's prolapsed asshole if he has down syndrome or cystic fibrosis or not, customers need to get a fuckin' thicker skin and quit forming lynch mobs over people who can barely afford to eat saltines and ketchup.

(ID: c893a2)Country code: amsterdam.png, country type: customflag, valid: 1  195360

File: 1541704126049.jpg (108.99 KB, 791x840, scarlet__s_cube_by_jollyjack.j…)

>>195350
>can barely afford to eat saltines and ketchup.

Oh FFS. This is bullshit.

Maybe if these "poor wageslaves" stopped wasting over half their salary on booze and weed they wouldn't be in that situation.

It's not surprising that most people who vote to increase minimum wage also voted to legalize pot.

Then they complain they don't make enough money. How about stop burning half of it after you fucking get it?

Anonymous (ID: fd5eae)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195365

>>195360
>because he's on a minimum wage job, which we see firsthand, we know he spends his money the same way minimum-wage people do in your anecdotal experience

Him spending his money like that is not a null hypothesis here. Burden of proof is on you to show that he does. There's a lot of accusations being flung in this thread, with only dubious evidence behind it.
Also costs of living these days make it nigh impossible to stockpile money. Most of it is going to go to things like rent and food, income taxes, and sometimes debt. It's stupid to target people for overspending in the tiny portion of their budget they can control, when a vast majority of their income expenditures are beyond their control. People who buy a pack of beer just want any cheap escape they can get from the unrewarding hell they're in.


Also, wanting minimum wage people not to be fired for microaggressions is not the same thing as wanting to raise the minimum wage. It's no wonder if these people are blowing their paychecks on weed, because they average day of their lives gives them absolutely no room to breathe.

(ID: c893a2)Country code: amsterdam.png, country type: customflag, valid: 1  195376

File: 1541705971693.jpg (78.34 KB, 522x683, autumn_wheelbarrow_by_jollyjac…)

>>195365
Oh, so you can assume he lives on saltines and ketchup but I can't assume he's a pot head.

Nice double standard there.

Anonymous (ID: fd5eae)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195383

File: 1541706342164.png (534.72 KB, 600x826, deathnote___l_by_koofukus-d33a…)

>>195376
We see him working minimum-wage firsthand, so we can assume his income is low.
Since we don't have a hard way to operationalize moral character, we can't judge from limited information how saying the wrong thing at work equates to being the type who will also blow their income on weed. Being an impulse-buyer is not the same character flaw as running one's mouth off. If you can assume all faults of character are somehow equal, you'll just go down the slippery slope of assuming someone should get a sentence for murder just because they're not totally competent at what they do, or similar things. We don't have a lot of information on how this guy actually transgressed on the job, let alone his spending habits. We do have information from which to extrapolate his income, though.

(ID: c893a2)Country code: amsterdam.png, country type: customflag, valid: 1  195392

File: 1541706702645.png (47.9 KB, 392x265, Thank+you+for+pointing+that+ou…)

>>195383
>We see him working minimum-wage firsthand, so we can assume his income is low.

Do you know his parents? Maybe they're well off and they just forced him to have this job because they wanted to teach him the value of working? You can't just assume everyone working at a register in a store is flat broke all the time.

I had an employee that worked for us that made minimum wage and came to work in a fully tricked out lowerider truck, probably worth at least 10 grand, if not more.

You know as much about this kid as I do, and you're projecting your own life experiences on him. Maybe he doesn't give a shit about being fired because he doesn't want the job anyway? He doesn't seem to make any attempt to apologise, he just argues that he wasn't wrong, and when the guy asks for the district manager's number he doesn't seem to give a shit and points to it on the wall.

You're assuming as much shit as I am, so don't get on a high horse.

Anonymous (ID: fd5eae)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195407

File: 1541707291528.jpg (217.68 KB, 1707x2048, 8ykc5z4q6ds11.jpg)

>>195392
I just think the costs of wrongly assuming he's in the wrong based on limited information are a net more damaging than wrongly assuming he's not in the wrong based on this same limited information. If he got away with this, worst-case scenario, a couple women's fragile egos would get a thickening and maybe the store would lose a bit of revenue from customers. Bleed me a river. If the accusations aren't really justified and this clearly retarded guy actually does have no safety net when he gets fired, what then? A guy's already shitty life is destroyed just because of a couple comments that, for all we know, were not jokes, but accidental.

Is that really what you think? Are you so lacking in an ethical center that you hold the egoes of some women in a white-trash neighborhood, who were socialized to be hypersensitive to tiny social fauxes pas, over the existence of this ugly and lackluster man?

Assuming we had more verified information to go on, I could see a case for him not deserving to keep his job, but from the position of uncertainty we're in, I can't help but err on the side of generosity towards this guy. Customers have the "right" to be insufferable little cunts to these poor workers all the time anyway and they barely get paid anything for having the stoicism never to flinch, yet the world ends when this shmoe goes out of line once?

(ID: c893a2)Country code: amsterdam.png, country type: customflag, valid: 1  195411

File: 1541707513487.jpg (108.82 KB, 1083x1006, crackin___coconuts_by_jollyjac…)

>>195407
I never said I felt he should lose his job over this, or that what he said isn't that bad.

I said the assumption that all minimum wage workers being able to only afford saltines and ketchup is bullshit.

You are the one that built a sob story about some guy you don't know in order to validate your position.

Anonymous (ID: fd5eae)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195413

File: 1541707653858.jpg (30.57 KB, 187x268, 1474241023863.jpg)

>>195411
Ah, my bad, sorry. Fair.

(ID: cca4cd)Country code: mlpchan.png, country type: customflag, valid: 1  195566

File: 1541724400979.gif (1.44 MB, 1440x1080, derpi_laugh_1080.gif)

>mah wife and daughter just came up hehe

He was talking about two people, right?

>"how do you think that's gonna make somebody feel?"


I just love people who feel like they can get away with passive aggressive abuse of others. "Oh, I didn't tell him I wanted to punch his face in, therefore I'm being the better man when I ask him rhetorical questions aimed at hurting him and making him feel like shit, without admitting any of my own anger like the cowardly chicken shit I am. I'm such responsible grownup big boy."

>you bout to get hurt this'm somebody's fuckin' daddy dude


I also love how people justify cruel assault, on the notion that parents can commit any crime as long as they're irrationally defending their children. You fucked a woman who dumped out a kid, and now you have an excuse to wring someone's neck for saying something that could maybe have been construed as an insult. Clearly you're not a murderous psychopath who should be rotting in a cell. You're a loving father who is a blessed saint for your destruction and cruelty toward others. They're not family after all, so they don't count as human beings to you.

>you're a brony or whatever


Oh my fucking god. Really? Seriously?

This is why I'm pro-abortion.

> buyin' pads for my 12yo daughter who's already embarassed about it


Right, because trying to relieve the tension and express some sympathy for the poor girl, letting her know that what's happening isn't some serious catastrophe is so much more embarassing than filming yourself going up and being an idiot in front of the cashier for daring to say anything about your daughter's experience, which as you say is embarassing and humiliating. She's gonna be scarred for life by this daddy's loving protection!

>12yo kids man they're embarassed almost cryin when they get home mah wife is embarassed


And yet she couldn't come talk to the manager herself. She had to get her thug—I mean husband to go rough them up instead.

> what are the neighbors think if they see you with that?


How's that even supposed to be a joke? Is he just trying to make her self-conscious about her neighbors for no reason? That clerk is an asshole too, I think. He could've said, "Well then I'll make sure to get you a bag. Period." He could've said, "Here's your bloody bag," or "Allow me to include a complimentary rag." or "Be sure to return these when you're done with them." But instead he just... acted exactly like Diamond Tiara making Apple Bloom ashamed of her grandmother? Diamond's a stereotypical villain! What's his excuse?

> you don't joke around with women like that! Period!


I lost. Pic related. God fucking dammit.

Whelp!tEfVeritas (ID: eab2eb)Country code: goggles.png, country type: customflag, valid: 1  195671

File: 1541737401341.png (160.8 KB, 600x682, tumblr_ms0j7mSKJv1qkdvoho1_128…)

>>195330

I am autistic, though. I was diagnosed with Asperger's back when that was a thing. And when you experience the symptoms of it, you tend to notice them in other people as well. It's hard to explain to others, but it's different than just regular social awkwardness. It creates a certain stiffness, a specific brand of awkwardness in social interactions that I imagine goes largely unnoticed by regular people.

I could be wrong, of course - but I am about 95% sure the guy behind the counter does, in fact, have some mild form of autism - "high-functioning autism", as it's universally called now - and I feel confident enough in that assessment to simply call the guy autistic. Your nephew sounds like he has a slightly more extreme form of it, similar to my cousin who's a sweet guy, but just has absolutely no social skills whatsoever, along with some other issues. He can't function normally, and he never will be able to. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm simply talking about that specific kind of social awkwardness that comes from having the interaction being learned, rather than being innate. Once you notice it in yourself, you'll start noticing it in others too.

Mk17 (ID: 60bdfc)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195684

File: 1541738387846.png (203.65 KB, 403x425, 564564kjkj.PNG)

>>195671
Honestly, I might have been diagnosed with things like Asperger's and ADD/ADHD too if i was ever checked.

My father explained to me that he never let me get checked, even though i guess some school officials insisted, because to him, i was fine, i just didnt like sitting in a flouresently lit room all day and i really enjoyed focusing in on very specific things / i was a weirdo haha.

He thought i would be better off without being labeled with a "personality disorder" and that influencing my life and self perspective, and i am forever grateful to him for that.

Whelp!tEfVeritas (ID: eab2eb)Country code: goggles.png, country type: customflag, valid: 1  195699

File: 1541739378718.png (105.7 KB, 643x1157, tumblr_ml9wla3N4A1qkdvoho2_r1_…)

>>195684

I didn't get diagnosed until I was 18, and old enough to insist on getting checked for myself. My parents didn't want their kid to have some sort of diagnosis. It would be embarrassing for my very important dad to have some sort of "handicapped" kid. I can't really say whether that was a net positive or not. On the one hand, my father's constant attempt at forcing me to somehow become normal left me with pretty terrible self-esteem since I always assumed that my social failures were entirely my own fault, and not because I had a disorder. Knowing that might have helped me understand and accept why I was so different and had such a hard time relating to others.

On the other hand, not having that knowledge meant that I always worked exceptionally hard to try and understand other people, their interactions and such, even if from a distance, because I blamed myself for not being able to do so. Which, while not a perfect substitute for actual innate social skills, does a decent enough impersonation most of the time. Had I known, I might not have put in the same amount of effort. But I'll be honest with you, it's hard not to be a little bitter that I had to spend my childhood thinking I was worthless over something that was, ultimately, not really my fault. Even today, that feeling still lingers, despite knowing otherwise. It's a tradeoff, I guess.

Mk17 (ID: 60bdfc)Country code: us, country type: geoip, valid: 1  195714

File: 1541740435167.png (776.91 KB, 924x959, 55676432.png)

>>195699
Yeah, its prob why i put in a lot of work to understand too. Its why i was bullied all through Jr high and half of highschool, but by the end of highschool, i was actually pretty well accepted, and dare i say... popular haha.
I still have to keep myself in check, i think thats why i put so much effort into asking questions and trying to gain other peoples perspectives on things. And why im so accepting of those outlooks and perspectives.

I still wouldnt want to know though, but thats just my personal choice. The way i see it, I am me, and i will remain me, no matter what a Dr says. I like me, i dont want to change me, or think that there is some kind of outside influence causing the way i think and feel that i have no control over.

Its just my personality, idk where i would draw the line between quirk and disorder tbh, and i dont think they do ether, unless its a very extreme and life altering case like in the case of my nephew and your cousin. I dont want to cede the responsibly of my actions to something in my brain that I feel like I cant control.

In other words, i don't want to open Pandoras box.

Neither of us are right, neither of us are wrong, its just our personal outlook.

But it is kind of cool that we both had that same situation growing up, I've literally never spoken to anyone about this that said "yeah, thats what happened to me too" haha.

Edit
Changed Dear to Dare haha
Edit 2
Any to And /)_-
This post was edited by its author on .

Whelp!tEfVeritas (ID: eab2eb)Country code: goggles.png, country type: customflag, valid: 1  195746

File: 1541745357993.png (207 KB, 600x1151, tumblr_opatc0nTBb1u9ghu7o1_128…)

>>195714

Well, the field of psychology seems to agree with you that it's simply a different way of being, rather than a disorder. But whenever I accidentally hurt someone or embarrass myself despite my best efforts because I lack normal social skills... Well, it's hard for me not to see it as a disorder of some sort. I don't want to be this way, and I'd honestly rather that I wasn't.

As for the thing about the doctors determining who you are - as far as I'm concerned, I were/am autistic either way, and still have to deal with the symptom. No doctor can influence that one way or another. What they could have done was give me the knowledge of what exactly it was that was wrong with me, rather than me thinking the whole time that it was a failure on my part.

Although, like I said, not knowing did cause some good. I am glad, for instance, that I was not diagnosed as a kid, essentially told that I couldn't help any of my failures because autism, and stopped trying to become normal as a result. I know a few people that happened to. Being given a diagnosis essentially just caused them and everyone around them to give up, and resign themselves to a life on social security. For some people, that's certainly a necessity, but there are also those where they were simply told from an early age that they're autistic, so nothing can be expected of them, and acted accordingly, even though they could possibly have learned to have a normal life if they were forced into it like you and I.

So I suppose in that sense, it was alright that things turned out the way they did, and that I didn't find out until I was old enough that I already knew I could live a normal life if I just tried hard enough. It would certainly have been a shame for me if I had given up on trying early on due to a diagnosis.

(ID: cca4cd)Country code: mlpchan.png, country type: customflag, valid: 1  195791

File: 1541751686919.jpg (48.9 KB, 480x627, save the internets sorry babe.…)

>>195671

> , a specific brand of awkwardness in social interactions


Sort of like being a loud, obnoxious asshole who's genuinely unaware and unable to give a fuck about anyone else's conversation?

...

What bugs me about autism is it's an umbrella term, where some people are quiet as a mouse, and others are swinging their verbal dick around so much, you might think they cared about what they were saying, when they're just obessed with saying it.

Then there's the fact that many of the supposed "symptoms" of autism are the same behaviors you observe in normies who go through profound periods of forced social isolation. So how much of it is autism, and how much is it just that autistic people have no friends?

> the guy behind the counter does, in fact, have some mild form of autism


Yeah, he's totally autismal. It's kind of sad really. Just parrotting the phrases that are supposed to work on people, without any understanding of what they actually mean.

But on the other hand, how many people intuitively know what to do when some poor girl's asshole father comes up to try to emotionally sabatoge you because you said something stupid? I don't think it's just autismal faggots who get caught flat-footed like that, and just robotically parrot stock phrases because they have no idea what to do.

If the dad's not lying through his teeth, and the clerk seriously does have repeat cases of stupid shit like coldly instilling shame into young girls who can't stop their bodies from gearing up to make babies, then yeah he might have autism. Put him on freaking inventory management, or supply loading, and stop telling assholes to run your customer service, is my advice in that case.


Delete Post [ ]
Edit Post
Posts on this board may be edited for 2 hours after being made.
[ home ] [ site / arch ] [ pony / oat / ef ] [ rp / fan ]