[ home ] [ site / arch ] [ pony / oat / chat ] [ rp / fan ]

/chat/ - Chat

A general discussion board with a laxer atmosphere and fewer rules. Keep adult content or controversial issues here.
Name
?

This field is optional. You can choose any name you want, or you can post anonymously by leaving this field empty.

Tripcodes are a way to identify yourself between posts without having to register with the site. To use a tripcode, enter your name as ‹name›#‹key›.You can choose anything you want as the key—it is private and will never be shown to other posters or stored on the server. For example:

Rarity#bestpony → Rarity!.4PK7yxdII

If you want a tripcode containing specific words, you can download a program designed to search for tripcodes, such as Tripcode Explorer.

Email?

Entering an e-mail is optional.

There are also code words you can enter here which perform certain actions when you submit your post.

• sage — lets you post without bumping a thread.
  • nonoko — uses the original post behavior to redirect to the board index.

These can be used at the same time as an e-mail address by typing ‹email›#‹action›.

You can also use Skype names in place of an e-mail. The notation is the same as a link to a username on skype itself, which is skype:‹username›

Subject
Comment?
Giving emphasis
[b] Bold [/b] Ctrl + B
[i] Italic [/i] Ctrl + I
[u] Underlined [/u] Ctrl + U
[s] Strikethrough [/s] Ctrl + R
Hiding text
[?] Spoiler text [/?] Ctrl + S
[h] Hide block of text [/h] Ctrl + H
Special
[rcv] Royal Canterlot voice [/rcv] Ctrl + K
[shy] Fluttershy voice [/shy]
[cs] Comic Sans [/cs]
[tt] Monospaced [/tt]
[d20], [4d6] — Dice rolls
URLs and linking
Link to a post on the current board
>>1234
Link to another board
>>>/pony/
Link to a post on another board
>>>/pony/1234
Hypertext links
[url=https://www.ponychan.net/] Ponychan [/url]
File
Flags
Password?

This field is for editing and deletions.

Jan 20: Board Organization Discussion
Jan 15: Staff Update, and Rules Update

File: 1490037158348.jpg (13.82 KB, 151x173, JRoberts.jpg)

Supreme Court Urda 706135

Senates begins hearings on a new Conservative Supreme Court Member.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/03/20/neil-gorsuch-9-fun-facts-about-us-supreme-court.html

It is going to be a Neil Gorsuch,it is interesting to note he will be the only Protestant on the Court.

The rest are either Catholic or Jewish.

Now the end of Fantasia:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUttwzazq30

Or how Liberals see this clusterfuck.

The Lonely God:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXrqtC81ztA
This post was edited by its author on .

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706147

Pretty solid choice from what i remember reading about him, but that's a really weird court composition you've got around there; aren't there far more protestant people in the US?
(not surprised by the jews because jews and protestants have often had little issue cooperating and supplementing eachother)

Urda 706148

File: 1490040237236.png (1.5 MB, 1920x803, Jones.png)

>>706147
Well I wanted a Squid Monster to even things out.

I didn't make that comparison,the Article I posted,did.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706154

>>706148

Squid monsters are best suited for sushi, all monsters in existence are just a chinese food dish waiting to be made.

Fair enough, but you seem to me like you might know more about it, 's all.

Urda 706158

File: 1490041125527.png (170.06 KB, 270x319, Flyingdutchman310ppx.png)

>>706154
Should the pilot of the Flying Dutchman be made into Sushi?

Again it is three Jews and 5 Catholics,I believe.

I thought it was interesting.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706161

>>706158

Yeah, i mean a squid with a name like that piloting a ship called the the flying dutchman?
Definite sushi-material.

Though to be fair there's plenty of names attached to the flying dutchman, 'de Vliegende Hollander', namely: Barend Fockesz, Willem van der Decken, Falkenberg, Van Straten, Ramhout van Dam, Pieter van Halen or finally the sea spirit Davy Jones, which is of course the only name Anglos can sorta understand.
Barend Fockesz is most likely the 'real' flying dutchman, known to complete the trip to the east indies in record times due to a supposed pact with the devil which stated he'd always have the wind from the back but he'd have to sail the seas forevermore.

And that's the weird stuff yeah, how'd it come to 5 catholics in the supreme court of a mostly protestant nation?
Just luck? As in them being simply the best picks at the time regardless of faith?

Urda 706166

File: 1490042463931.jpg (267.96 KB, 981x1517, Lucifer_15_p01.jpg)

>>706161
It was through pacts with the Devil,that the race for the west was won.

The religious stuff is weird but true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_Supreme_Court_of_the_United_States

>Justice James Clark McReynolds, a blatant anti-semite, refused to speak to Brandeis for three years following the latter's appointment and when Brandeis retired in 1939, did not sign the customary dedicatory letter sent to Court members on their retirement. During Benjamin Cardozo's swearing in ceremony McReynolds pointedly read a newspaper muttering "another one" and did not attend that of Felix Frankfurter, exclaiming "My God, another Jew on the Court!"[82]

5 Catholics and three Jews.

They are more likely to be more attracted to law then their WASP peers.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706170

>>706166

Haven't heard that version myself, but there's many versions.
Another i've read when i was at the Cape of Good Hope ('Kaap de Goede Hoop') in South Africa i read a version in which the cape itself was a giant that refused passage to anyone, but a stubborn dutchman went anyway.
The giant tried to blow him away but the dutchman was a good sailor, so they've been locked in an eternal struggle ever since; the giant blowing eternal winds and the dutchman eternally sailing against them.
Not sure if it'd symbolise anything though.

Maybe that's it, but good to see it's all been chosen meritocratically.

Urda 706173

File: 1490043068084.jpg (333.33 KB, 975x1517, Lucifer_13_p01.jpg)

>>706170
And are you a Giant or a Dutchman?

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706175

>>706173

Stood on the cape, the cape was bigger.
By a lot.
So not a giant. :3

But i'm a dutchman yeah.
(specifically not the flying kind though, i'm terrible at jumping on things like snowboards)

Urda 706178

File: 1490043773563.jpg (255.53 KB, 975x1517, Lucifer_13_p04.jpg)

>>706175
Well how did you get there?

Did you take a ship?

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706185

>>706178

Nope, flew to Johannesburg, hired a guy to drive us around the country, visited plenty places, took another plane somewhere in the east towards Cape town, hired another guy there to take us to the cape.
And later to see whales, which was also sorta neat. (there's a town with a bay nearby where you can sometimes see whales, we saw a few)

Can't really remember every place's name, but we also visited Swasiland at some point, did some safaris in the krugerpark, went to places with weird alien-dutch sorta names that i can't seem to remember properly too.
The place in the east was st. -something-, neat place, many Zulus though.
But they're pretty good.
Many hippos though; signs warning of hippos in the streets at night.
Also saw a few monkeys raid a house. (literal monkeys, not baboons)

On the cape itself there's a parking spot where there's baboons though, saw those raid a car while the people were still inside.
They just grab everything remodely edible and try to eat it.
Thankfully they were unnerved by my relative size, so they kept suitable distance and went out of their way to avoid my gaze.

Urda 706187

File: 1490044460296.jpg (252.97 KB, 975x1517, Lucifer_13_p13.jpg)

>>706185
So you do fly.

Did you get around in English or in Dutch(Afrikaan)?

Your size again,you must be pretty impressive.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706188

>>706187

...Touché.

Both actually, plenty of languages around there.
Most of the times i used English though because their warped Dutch is pretty hard to stomache, understandable just fine but it's pretty annoying if everyone just seems to be speaking like toddlers on crack.
(mostly ended up speaking actual dutch with some more enterprise-minded mulattos)

My length is somewhere around 210 cm, quite uncommon even here. (in american units i usually cheat a little and say it's 7 foot, because the difference is negligeble to me in cm, but i'm never sure how that translates in feet and such)
Long neck and back though, short limbs make it seem like i'm shorter... until you're next to me; i don't have the gangly proportions some people with those disproportionally long limbs have.
Very useful for startling people though.

Urda 706189

File: 1490044938418.jpg (277.91 KB, 975x1517, Lucifer_13_p15.jpg)

>>706188
And Baboons apparently.

Interesting that there is a country where you need both languages to get around.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706190

>>706189

The baboons didn't speak dutch, they only spoke in theft, robbery and being hit by the parking place's guy's bat.
(too many baboons for him to defend the entire place though, so occasionally some still got to misbehave; we were lucky to see the spectacle)

I think English alone was enough for the most part, but i like travelling a bit incognito to get to see more.
But mind you there's like 17 main languages there, so even if dutch lets you in on a bit more there's still plenty more you miss.
But i went to the townships in example, not exactly the safest spots, but i met a good guy in cape town who knew a reliable guide.
Happened mostly because he spoke dutch and all, makes it easier to start a talk for me; more common ground too.
Doesn't hurt that most there seem to hate the British above all else, so the dutch get a bit of a 'rose-tinted-glasses' treatment as benevolent past overlords, just to illustrate that there's a number of considerations you only really realise are there when you just happen to run into them.

Urda 706193

File: 1490045671981.jpg (283.09 KB, 975x1517, Lucifer_13_p16.jpg)

>>706190
Luck of the Traveler.

Mind you there is a lot there,worth checking out.

Lots of history,maybe involving Giants and the Dutch.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706195

>>706193

Yeah, i seem to have that quite often.
I.e. in Costa Rica i once went to a place with an active volcano in sight, and on that particular night it had a really calm flow of lava, so it had a sort of fiery crown on top.
Looked really awesome, but pure luck.
(downside is of course that when travelling there's also many nasty things... like discovering you're very vulnerable to certain combinations of chemicals under very specific conditions; volcanically heated water with sulfur AND chlorine is apparantly a very bad thing for my skin IF my skin is damaged by i.e. sunburn)

Plenty of things to see yeah, hope to see a lot more.
Currently thinking about Angkor Wat or Japan.

And you might not think it but you're rarely far away from dutch history in some form another.
And in terms of giants, well i'm no cape of good hope but i'm taller than the biblical goliath and comparable to other historical 'giants' known in this area, so in a sense it's fair enough.
(though there's of course various accounts of all such lengths, though in the case of the dutch 'giant' at least his sword and bones were preserved which we know to be as tall as him, his name was 'Pier Gerlofs Donia', a.k.a. Grutte Pier)

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706199

File: 1490046613555.jpg (6.62 KB, 251x201, VoC.jpg)

>>706195
>>706193

Also if you ever find yourself in the old 'east' (africa+asia) and wonder if you've found something dutch this is the mark you're looking for, cut in stones, metal or whatever else.

The English were not fond of it though, so often it has been removed.

Urda 706202

File: 1490046923597.jpg (80.45 KB, 702x1280, VQCFOCo.jpg)

>>706195
So no Goliath but still standing tall.Good for you,I hope you get to see Angkor Wat.

Grutte Pier,I have heard of,his legend probably influenced Dark Souls.
>>706199
I am sure that Mark is in a lot of products,from the Region.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706208

>>706202

Yeah, got a nice idea of what sorta plan i might follow.

Could be, the guy was a famous ...pirate-rogue-mercenary...boss?
A Frisian that fought against the Hollanders.
Known for wielding a blade about 8 feet long, seizing 28 ships and drowning roughly 500 sailors, and for being a general terror to behold with 'eyes black as coal' and a face and temper that described him as being fierce and utterly terrifying in combination with his strength and size.
(going by a wiki description here, lol)

The mark is no longer in official use, but sometimes there's still some souvenirs that feature it, and local products. (the company ceased to exist in 1799)
I meant more like, well, you may find a waystone with it in some places in south africa in example, or buildings still bearing it, i believe there was an example of the mark in the botanical garden in cape town.

Urda 706223

File: 1490048721564.jpg (29.33 KB, 200x257, WWP06200_500.jpeg)

>>706208
Sounds like he was the proficient killer,and a fucking pirate.

Typical Dutchman.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706232

>>706223

Yeah, not a great guy were it not that god decided to shape him otherwise, hah.

He had his reasons of course, and let's be honest all soldiers, all real fighters are killers regardless of how pretty a story they make of it.
Grutte Pier just wasn't on a winning side but nonetheless made his enemies bleed in a number of ways, and he did win in his own way: He avenged the death of his family at the hands of plundering mercenaries in service of one of the counts of Holland, at the time already under the influence of the Habsburgs against which there would later be a war of independence, ironically under the leadership of Holland in effect.
The Hollanders called him 'het kruis van Holland', which means 'the cross of Holland'; the cross on which they were to be nailed.

Heh, that's one way to look at it... but hey, anyone can be painted in a pale light.
It's funny speaking with french people about the British, we mostly know them as quite stupid, poor fighters, braggarts and traitorous opportunists, and then to contrast that with how people from the anglosaxon world view us and others.

Urda 706241

File: 1490050807245.jpg (18.47 KB, 480x360, We Live We Live We Live.jpg)

>>706232
All that thanks to his big fucking Zwaard.

Guess the house of Burgundy and Hasburgs,had it coming.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706246

>>706241

Nah, the weapon was merely a tool, one that he gave notoriety rather than the other way around.

The Burgundians weren't nearly as disliked as the Habsburgs, culminating in the hatred for the Spanish Habsburgs, especially as they sought to undo the centuries old tradition of the Belgian cities, which involved a generally very loose level of control by any foreign rulers. (of course it also makes it easier to stomache any ruler if they don't really affect you and just serve to make sure others don't really bother you)
To give an idea of how far that went: The city of Utrecht in example owns its city rights to the fact that the holy roman emperor decided to visit and came into a conflict with the bishop, but only narrowly won that due to the highly decentralised nature of the area meaning that the local power of authorityhe could call upon was extremely limited.
(admittedly bishops were not exactly powerless, but to almost topple an emperor over a petty squabble is quite something)

Urda 706251

File: 1490051917100.jpg (315.1 KB, 1024x745, tintin-vs-asterix-bg.jpg)

>>706246
The same Belgian cities that threw out the French,interesting that the Low Countries didn't feel like being under any foreign rule.

You do consider Tintin an abomination right?

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706255

>>706251

Pretty much a summary of the history of the low lands: Fuck foreigners*.
*Exceptions apply for useful foreigners

And nope, i kinda liked him, though i know him as 'Kuifje', his name in dutch.
(a descriptive name, basically describes the cow-licked sorta hair, no idea why he's called that)
Also a fan of Asterix and Obelix, or at least used to be.

Most good dutch comics i know are either serious to the point of an almost scientifical accuracy or like the political / news cartoon things.
(there's a really good one about the Indonesian struggle for independence in example)

There's some stuff like kuifje and such from the netherlands too come think of it, Olivier B. Bommel in example, but it's all older stuff that i've heard of.

Urda 706256

File: 1490052981633.jpg (34.25 KB, 225x300, 05couvall2mini.jpg)

>>706255
I did and still do have some Thorgal,in Dutch.

Shame you don't read it.

Tintin(Kuifje)does try for some psuedo realism and while the science is bogus,the characters aren't.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706257

>>706256

You mentioned it before yeah, but the thing is i've barely even seen it around here.
For some reason it's like many things here in that it seems vastly more popular outside of the Netherlands than in it, though in this case it should be mentioned that the series is Belgian, just Belgian 'dutch' as in flemish. (a pretty big difference, not in language but in culture)

Yeah, it's pure fantasy; no pretense.
Better than the sort of fantasy you see in plenty of places in my opinion though, it's good to be clear on taking a fantastical approach rather than trying to be 'sciencey' with a genuine pseudorealistic approach as in, say, sci-fi.
And yeah, i remember it as being fun to read.

Urda 706258

File: 1490055148614.jpg (257.43 KB, 1280x960, thumb-1920-455783.jpg)

>>706257
Well I assumed the Netherlands would have their own folklore and tales,not to mention they colonized a substantial part of the world.

Belgium only Colonized the Kongo,and God knows how that turned out.

Aruba:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ChADh1zt5I

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706259

>>706258

Yeah, Bontekoe comes to mind, but it's a bit of a touchy issue since i.e. American influence has brought some American problems to influence public opinion here.
Things like slavery, colonies, imperialism, and racism make it something that many avoid talking about too loosely.
I'd call it generic SJWing but's more thorough than that, and its relative silence lies in part due to the fact that even the heart of its advocates and critcs is filled with contradictions.
Practically you should think of 'slavery' being a touchy subject to talk about at all, while there have been many figures in dutch history that have been untroubled to point out it's really not all that different from 'free' paid work, as they often proceeded to illustrate.
Likewise the black race color and the word nigger (in dutch 'neger') do not carry quite the same load here, it was simply not abused so recently, it has left some traditions also somewhat criticised. (though ironically not in the few colonies and ex colonies we still have frequent contact with, despite them having a lot more day to day interaction between blacks and whites the traditions remain unaltered even in a nation that fought for its independence genocide versus genocide)
As for colonies: The idea of white man's burden has literally been relegated to pure racism, while if you look at sources from the time you'd realise it's often a far cry from it; it was mostly a relatively simple comparison of socio-economic circumstances.
And finally imperialism which is often cast as the prime evil and as if somehow being responsible for the evils of the second world war (we didn't participate in the first one after all) despite the fact that literally all parties involved were or would end up as imperialists regardless of their intents and rhetoric.

So the result is what you'd expect from the Netherlands: Compromise, learning.
I forgot the name of the guy who said it, but he said the following: Being a frenchman means remembering the parts where you fought together, and forget the times you murdered eachother over faith or somesuch. (of course not the literal wording, but i only remembered the stretch of what he said)
Which leaves us in a position where there is something about which there can be no compromise, namely factual history, has to be 'compromised' into something acceptable for all.
The impossible nature of such a movement has either stunned or silenced people here, as the uneasy silence is the only answer that has been produced by all involved.
It's a limit to our approach, one that leaves us bare as our rich history is suddenly 'silenced to death', a word that doesn't really work at all in english. ('doodzwijgen', with 'dood' obviously meaning 'dead' but 'zwijgen' having no proper equivalent in english, as it is a verb that means to practice an active, intentional form of being silent, like when keeping a secret, or when observing, or somesuch, it is probably the most typically dutch word there is; the father of the fatherland is known as William the Silent in English, but in Dutch he's Willem de Zwijger)

Also it is late and i feel the need to sleep well, and find my memory failing a bit too often right now.
So good night.
(also if you want the best of the dutch Antilles i'd advise you to go to Bonaire, not Aruba)

Urda 706260

File: 1490056993202.jpg (287.83 KB, 458x600, 5_4f9rs.jpg)

>>706259
Bonaire,well there is always a place in the world I haven't heard of.

Do have a Good night.

Reverend!Slavshit.Y 706294

File: 1490063691631.jpg (99.7 KB, 1143x698, mia_smol_by_raikoart-daquh97.p…)

>>706147

Catholics are the single largest Christian denomination but there are more Protestants overall, yes.

I thought it was strange too but I'm not opposed to how it is.

Reav 706429

>>706260

We call 'em the abc islands; Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao, so that's the relation.

>>706294

Fair point from a political perspective, i often forget how divided protestants can be because they're forced to work together here. (Or be about as important as the muslim minority, granted they've far more influence in other ways)

Reverend!Slavshit.Y 706495

File: 1490103951882.jpg (149.85 KB, 816x978, play_with_this_by_midorinemura…)

>>706429

You've got three kinds of Protestants here in the U.S.

You have the largest group being evangelicals who might go to church once in a while but act like they are God's gift to humanity while being stunningly ignorant of their own religion. These are the holier than thou lunatic fundamentalists (who ironically don't even understand the fundamentals of their faith most of the time) that single handedly drag Christianity down into the dirt. They tend to be the majority of the red state populations (which should be telling).

Then you have the Mainliners who are generally liberal, don't tend to take the religion very seriously (socially anyway) and are more reasonable. You'd probably never guess they were Christians if you spoke to them but when pressed they'll tell you what they are.

Then there are the literally cult tier fucks like Jehova's Witnesses and snake handling Pentacostal retards. They're small and irrelevant but holy fuck this is why Luther should have had a plan for reunification.

Reaver 706550

>>706495

Ooh, the first one sounds like the SGP (political party, pretty much permanently at 3/150 seats to give an idea of the size) here, but i dunno if they've the same faith.
Like they've some pretty neat ideas but damn are they bad at executing them, municipalities and stuff where they are elected and have been elected for the past decades if a century tend to be literally the worst in the country.

Fair, most of our religious types are like this it seems.

And we've some of this too, as in the crazies; cults get systematically dismantled due to being dangerous to society in many cases.
(those not dangerous are of course tolerated)

Reverend!Slavshit.Y 706567

File: 1490113913070.png (564.33 KB, 550x800, 1_by_cherryblosssomm-d9tyxif.p…)

>>706550

Looking into them it appears they are Reformed, incidentally some of the haughtiest fucks you can find, but there's evangelicals of all sorts. How do they get a permanent place? Or is that just how it works out because of proportions?

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706593

>>706567

Yeah.
The permanent place isn't anything magical, just a practical oddity that occurred; their fanbase is the most loyal, but nobody else really likes them apart from their occasional influence and absurd level of stability in terms of convictions.
Trouble is you really don't want them to actually win either, just a little bit of influence for them is nice.
(if they managed to get the full level of support from all reformists they'd get 7 or 8 seats though, so not even all reformists like 'em)

Urda 706672

File: 1490125602681.jpg (130.49 KB, 500x764, uw03.jpg)

>>706567
You don't count Mormons as Protestants,people of this particular book?
>>706429
Not that far from Suriname if I recall.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706677

>>706672

Sorta correct, Suriname is on the north coast of South America, but quite a bit to the east, beyond the Carribean.

No longer a colony though, was a bit messy how they got independence but basically it was a sorta benevolent dictator military junta type of deal.
He's still in charge but he's actually been elected by the populace, to give you an idea of his support, though there's also still attempts at bringing him to justice over the murders he's committed during that process of independence, the december murders.
(guy's name is Desi Bouterse)

Oh wait, i messed that one up, apparantly they were granted independene shortly before the coup happened, so that's a bit weirder.

Urda 706678

File: 1490126072021.jpg (68.26 KB, 600x922, 100-Bullets-61.jpg)

>>706677
Still a step up from Venezuela,shame this particular country went so wrong.

Suriname might be good for a side trip.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706681

>>706678

Yeah, Venezuela frequently bothers us about the abc islands, they want to annex 'em partially because there is / was some oil there.
Good news for us since it means they'll need to keep us around for protection in addition to money, so we keep access to neat carribean islands.

And yeah, especially for me since it's one of the few countries where they actually speak proper dutch, but oddly enough i've never been there.
Definitely want to go someday, but for some reason i never get around to it.

Urda 706682

File: 1490126342419.jpg (3.02 MB, 1400x1867, 9782749307015-C-G.jpg)

>>706681
The reason I was interested in this region,was because they actually did speak Dutch.

That is quite unusual compared to Indonesia,even South Africa.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706685

>>706682

Very true, most dutch colonies eventually ended up in British hands thanks to the napoleontic wars and the preceding mess, 's how they got south africa and their south-american colonies in example, as well as sri lanka and i think malaysia. (not sure about the last two)
Though it should be noted that in Indonesia you find dutch too, just very rarely as the dutch tended to mostly deal with the nobles and other higher-tier guys there, so a lot less of the language was preserved there save in the way it was 'indonesised' and used in the actual language there.
(compare 'secola' with 'school')

So most ended up speaking English, then again we in turn stole a lot from the portuguese too.
(up to and including north-Brazil for a short time, oddly enough the only reason i know this because at a certain point there were fringe groups there that used us as an example of 'good' colonisers versus 'bad'' portuguese colonisers)

Urda 706687

File: 1490127105302.jpg (204.48 KB, 768x1024, 1466497368.jpg)

>>706685
Looking at that history,it seem the Netherlands at least one point decided to sacrifice their influence in Singapore....not Malaysia.

To push the British out of Indonesia.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706692

>>706687

Hmm, might be i have that confused, lemme check.

Nope, in 1641 we conquered Malacca from the portuguese, the english arrived only in 1786, and did so on the island south of it.
Their settlements there were traded for Malacca so that the entirety of the island south of it was in dutch hands.

(which makes sense, as from roughly 1572 'till 1670 was the dutch golden age, and from then 'till 1780 was the silver age (age of stagnation but little actual regression), with only a relatively short but very intense period of decline until roughly 1848, when Thorbecke made our first constitution, with things going pretty well since then barring the 5 years of germans; dutch history in a nutshell)

...Come think of it the merchant-king who was partially responsible for these 'trades' reminds me a lot of Trump, hehe.

Urda 706739

File: 1490131405669.jpg (122.62 KB, 790x444, tVGG_11801.jpg)

>>706692
If only the Netherlands wasn't between Belgium and Germany,it would have been a Paradise.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706745

>>706739

Neh, we'd have run out of people to send to colonies after New Amsterdam that way, heh.

Besides they're good customers, the Germans anyway.
And we do need the Germans to keep the french at bay.

And to be honest we've had more issues with the french than with the germans, up to and including them being wielded by England against us several times.

Urda 706747

File: 1490132416020.jpg (162.82 KB, 640x984, Lucifer 064 (2005) (digital-Em…)

>>706745
You'd rather be wielded by someone or something else?

In which Lucifer is England,and Master Rudd is France.

Such a Good Comic.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706750

>>706747

Eh, we're rather unwieldy in practice, from the eve of the second world war where we screwed up the chances for the french to hold the line to the cuba missile crisis where we only barely avoided ditching the western powers and going full neutral mode again.
(not to mention that we gave asylum to the german kaiser after the first world war and reconquered indonsia twice after the second world war, both to the great outrage of international communities but only in the latter did it have actual consequence)

Such stubbornness would suit France as well, and thankfully they've mostly been able to do that sorta thing since they've become more.. people-centered.
So maybe if they had reached that state earlier in history it'd have been best.

Urda 706752

File: 1490132884256.jpg (23.61 KB, 236x341, 3789d856ab9fd562228ea43d93778b…)

>>706750
Planning on sending cash to America to pay for that NATO upkeep?

From what I understood the German Kaiser,didn't really stand with Nazism much.

He was a serious Anti-Semite but not a friend of Hitler.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706756

>>706752

Not that i've heard of, but plans for defense expansion all the same.
But that is expansion of our own forces, not contribution to NATO with direct payment, though some material will come from American manufacturers no doubt.
The NATO has not exactly contributed well since the end of the cold war after all, no need to maintain a weak arm, especially not if it is frequently paralysed, ineffective and wielded by a not-overly-capably led country. (thinking of Trump from the eyes of most current european establishments)

Yeah, the german kaiser was pretty alright, though his policy of silence on the western front did foster the diseasous right-wing belief that would later grow into nazism.
But otherwise he did little truly wrong save to honor his alliances.

Many and more were anti-semites, but yeah not exactly a great guy in that sense, though he did know to keep just friendly enough for them to survive.
And Hitler was anti-establishment, anti-royal, not unlike the communists in that sense.
So his dislike of Hitler was inspired by personal interest to no small degree most likely.

Urda 706760

File: 1490133716939.jpg (226.78 KB, 981x1520, Lucifer_37_p06.jpg)

>>706756
The Kaiser did create a lot of Misery but he did not try to invade the Netherlands,during WW1.

He respected Dutch neutrality and he never liked the Nazies that much.

His abdication,and exile,meant he couldn't stop them though.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706764

>>706760

Wouldn't say he created the misery, merely partook in it.
There were in my eyes only two who can be blamed for the first world war, and those are Serbia and the Austrian-Hungarian empire.
The former for the incident in which the archduke was Frans Ferdinand was murdered, the latter for not accepting their apologies and attempts to deescalate the situation, consequently invading Serbia.

But yeah that he didn't invade the Netherlands was pretty cool too, though admittedly during the second world war we were quite akin to Switzerland and captured twothousand or so British soldiers trespassing in our territory.
(we sent them to Frisia where they knitted until the war ended, we still have some of the stuff they produced in Groningen)
The second world war though, well, our 'strong christian leader' illustrated to us that maybe we should have at least kept up with technology a bit better.
(we had roughly 200+ triplanes and a few more modern ones, but that was nowhere near enough, we also had a grand total of of one functional modern tank and maybe a hundred less advanced ones, the only thing that was and pretty much always has been up to date is our artillery, which is what our strongman-leader-guy hoped would intimidate the germans sufficiently, which it admittedly almost did at some point.

The fact that our fleet was of little use against Germany also didn't help, as well as the fact that we also had the dutch indies to defend.
(which required their own army but contributed only 14% to the total dutch economy)

And yeah, had he remained the nazis would have been chanceless, but the kaiser was proud and refused to even be buried with his family until another kaiser sits on the german throne.
As such he is still buried in the Netherlands to this day. (just to say that maybe he was a bit too stubborn to remain on the throne in a number of ways)

Urda 706769

File: 1490134824865.jpg (121.46 KB, 640x983, RIP.jpg)

>>706764
Not much left of either Serbia or Austria Hungary,guess getting this ball rolling didn't do them much Good.

From what I understood the Dutch did fight towards the end of WW2,where the Free Dutch forces had some success

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706774

>>706769

Nah, the latter had been rotting for decades already, and the former had never not been rotten.

Yeah, okay, sort of, very little.
Our biggest contribution was what is still the biggest-ever bank fraud in which we effectively took 200 billion from the germans (corrected for inflation).
The rest was small-time work, though admittedly given what sort of stuff the Brits got up to here that almost seems understandable.
(thinking of i.e. operation Market Garden, which failed tremendously and saw the Brits abusing the shit out of i.e. the Poles by giving them landing spots in swamps and such)
But yeah, some little fighting, though it must be mentioned that the Germans did not crush us quite as fast as they had hoped and ultimately relied on our surrender in order to keep their pace; Rotterdam's destruction was their final warning.

Happened to be listening to this at the same time: https://youtu.be/TD1RAKfMSTA

Urda 706780

File: 1490136405900.jpg (206.29 KB, 977x1521, Lucifer_38_p05.jpg)

>>706774
Well everyone robbed the Deutsche after WW2.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706781

>>706780

Wouldn't really call it robbing, there's a point at which restitution is really the only option they've left if they wish to ever get a chance at forgiveness.
Though admittedly we did return the territory we got after WW2. (we got up 'till osnabroek i recall, a bit of a temporary inroad into Germany)

Urda 706782

File: 1490137059808.jpg (223.21 KB, 981x1517, Lucifer_20_p14.jpg)

>>706781
Then went along and joined the European Union sometime later.

Guess the EU stabilized things.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706783

>>706782

Definitely did, though honestly all the EU needs to do is keep France and Germany cooperating.
Then it'll have done its job in the world just fine.

It also happened to be that the Germans grew like mad, which was helped slightly by the Marshall Help.
Consequently the Netherlands grew greatly because the Germans grew too.
(not precisely our time of greatest growth mind you, that would be the twenties of the 20th century, but still very good growth)

Urda 706789

File: 1490139574365.jpg (211.9 KB, 981x1517, Lucifer_20_p16.jpg)

>>706783
And it has lead to a much more Liberal time,and a much more liberal climate.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 706858

>>706789

Not so sure about that myself, my grandfather used to tell a story about how he once went to Austria with my father, grandmother and his brothers in the 1960s and that at one point they met a man that was a bit younger than him who was rather enthousiastic.
And now we don't often show wealth and this man decided he took a liking to my father and his brothers and offered to pay for their education... except it quite quickly became clear he was a bit nazistic, to put things likely.
Now this is especially interesting as my grandmother is jewish. (ever since that incident we've usually steered clear of Austria, though i relatively recently broke that tradition myself as i quite like the country and the people in a number of ways... and it's been a while since the wars after all)
So i dunno about the liberal climate of years past.

But in the present you may have noticed that at least the first 'domino' in Europe did not fall, with the Netherlands choosing to re-elect their classical liberals once again, so i daresay we still live in a much more liberal time than the times during which the EU was forged and this all happened.

Urda 707281

File: 1490234127204.jpg (216.66 KB, 1920x1080, 100027_movie01.jpeg)

>>706858
Do you consider yourself at least ethnically related to Germans in general and Scandinavians?

I assume Austrian would be more Alpine in character.

!Reaver.GYI!!RmLzHlLwSv 707403

>>707281

I dunno, i consider myself related to family, but that's really about as far as meaningfully related goes.
Plenty of tall and blonde/red there mind you though, so in a sense yeah.

And i've tested it plenty of times, not a single fuck that can pick me out of a crowd; can blend in with nazis just fine and they're none the wiser.
(though it takes some effort mind you)

But i can understand Germans a little as i can Scandinavians and that without learning anything about their language, so in that sense i do consider them to have a somewhat likewise culture, same goes for the english.
(and even the french a tiny bit)
Though when it comes to 'how people behave' sorta culture i find that the range from north France to west germany to north Italy is more familiar, including switzerland, belgium and parts of austria.
In this area there is a certain... something that makes it feel like home even when it's not home, if you know what i'm saying.
Denmark has this a tiny bit too, so maybe that should be the eastern boundary.

Reverend!Slavshit.Y 707407

>>706672

I don't know if Mormons can rightly be called Protestants but it's funny to say they are and watch others sperg.

Delete Post [ ]
Edit Post
Posts on this board may be edited for 2 hours after being made.
[ home ] [ site / arch ] [ pony / oat / chat ] [ rp / fan ]