Ugh! I stayed up late last night watching Dr. Who on Netflix on a 3DS. and thus I slept in late (just now getting up) its 1:19pm at the time of writing of this post.
but before all that, I can assure everypony here that there was so MUCH progress yesterday. the map editor is coming along quiet swell and I was able to add a whole bunch of code almost entirely snag-free and almost entirely un-distracted!
Screenshot shows what progress has been made. It may not look like much but the map is far more operational than it was the day before!
Today will be spent adding a few additional features (one very important addition would be the ability to save maps and then upload them to the game) and then a polishing up on the code in whole. After spending hours coding something there's usually always a mess of unnecessary code to do away with :P
If anypony wants to know what I used for the first test demo map, well here's what I did:
Data 11,16, p,00,00,09,10,10,10,11,00,00,00,16,09
first line of code " .testmap" is a label for the data below it. I could make several of these data bits and call them ' .level1 ' and ' .level2' and so on and in the code I have to call them into memory using these labels. Pretty straight forward, really.
Second line of code "Data beta_tiles" reads into the program what tileset to use for the level. For this demo we're using a tileset I simply named "beta_tiles"
And for the rest of the code...Every number after the Data tag and in between the commas represents a tile. The numbers themselves are the frame numbers of the tile-map image. So tile# 01 represents the first, tile#02 represents tile number two and so on.
To those of you who are not code savvy, this is the most primitive way to produce in game level maps. It works, but its often a pain to have to go through and manually type in the number of each tile. Also for me to add things like items, doors, enemies, etc I'd have to add a whole other block of data to act as a layer over the main tile data and that's.. well... a pain if I may say so.
To think that that data set I posted above only represents one whole screen of tiles. Just think of what an entire level would look like. That's a huge block of data!
And That, my friends is why we need map editors! ;)
Dont worry. I dont plan to let this one die. ;) I feel like its a promise and a gift to the brony community. so I have to finish it no matter what! Its just a slow process of coding and graphics design, and planning. :P
Glad to see another Blitz User! :D I'm Avesthefox on the BlitzBasic.com forums (though I hardly ever post there) if your ever curious. ;)
Blitz is such an awesome coding tool! Maybe not as powerful as these more recent C style languages, but its easier to learn in my opinion. I've been a Blitzer since 2002 but thee past three years have been the height of my learning curve.
To think, I was gonna use my old version of The Games Factory to make this game... but despite being easy to design with, that program is just to dang buggy!
Blitz 3D ftw!